Friday, October 7, 2011

"Kindred Spirits" at Clark University

Postcard from the show

On Wednesday night I went to the opening of the exhibition Kindred Spirits at Clark University in Worcester, Mass. This was a show of works in encaustic by 10 artists that was curated by Toby Sisson, Assistant Professor of Studio Art in the Department of Visual and Performing Art at Clark. Student interns, under Toby's supervision, installed the work and would have received an A+ from me for their layout and placement of the work. There was a lovely sense of spaciousness on the walls and resonance between works. I took a lot of pictures of the exhibition with my iPhone 4. The mushiness of the photos make me wish that I had the higher megapixel count of the newest iPhone. I know that there will be more posting of images (hopefully with a better camera) because many people were taking photos. These images are just to pique your interest and urge you to see the show in person since it's up until December 12th.


Artists in the show

Entrance to the show - 4 works by Joanne Mattera from her Vicolo Series left and orbs by Miles Conrad to right

Close-up of one of Joanne's works showing the carving of the "vicolo"

One of Miles' works

Lisa Pressman with one of her works


Close-up of one of Lisa's paintings


Four works by Laura Moriarty


Showing the relationship between Laura's and Lisa's work


Another attendee - Lynette Haggard


Three works by Sue Katz


One of Sue's works


Toby speaking to Sue and Marybeth Rothman


Two works by Marybeth Rothman


Sculptural prints by Kathleen Lemoine


Installation of wall works by Kim Bernard


Kim Bernard talking to gallery visitors in front of Donna Talman's works


Lynette with a work by David Clark


A closer look at a David Clark monotype

Here's another link to a description of the show from Pulse Magazine.

3 comments:

Toby Sisson said...

Thanks for the lovely write up Nancy!

I also appreciate the link to the PULSE website, which published my curator's statement in full. One of the most delightful aspects of curating an exhibition is sharing one's interpretation of individual artworks as well as the conceptual and formal links between each body of work. The curator's statement is one analysis, but also serves as an invitation for viewers to create their own narrative of the viewing exprerence.

And I would be remiss if I did not acknowledge the help I received from Joanne Mattera's book, The Art of Encaustic Painting. I relied on Joanne's research, as so many of us have, to establish the history of encaustic practice I noted in my writing. And of course, the participating artists' statements illuminated my thoughts about the depth and breadth of their work.

Thank you all for your contributions to the community of contemporary ART!

Wendy Rodrigue Magnus said...

Thank you, Nancy. As usual, you've allowed those of us who can't get there a sampling of unique and inspired American art that we otherwise might not have seen. Looks like a great show-

Joanne Mattera said...

Nancy,
Thank you for this tour of the exhibition. While I couldn;t attend the opening, I feel a little less left out, having seen the show and some of the other artists through your lens.

And, Toby, thank you for your kind words about my book and its value to you. And, of course, for curating this exhibition.

I look forward to seeing the exhibition.