Tuesday, September 7, 2010

The Questionnaire: Lynette Haggard

The Questionnaire is meant to be a lighter version of a bio, a little more revealing in some respects and personal without all the facts bogging it down. I supply the questions and the respondents supply the answers. Either one or both of us supply the images.


          L y n e t t e  H a g g a r d          



What is your favorite color?


Green 



What is your favorite word?

hmm, hoogie. It's my word for turmoil or freakout; borrowed from my friend Lisa O. 


Lynette in the studio




What turns you on creatively, spiritually or emotionally?

Music, poetry, yoga 



Louie and Ella, Lynette's dogs



What turns you off? 



Ass kissing, people who are dense 






What profession other than artist would you most like to be?

A dancer or a scientist. Oh maybe a writer. 






What is your favorite book or movie?

Pablo Neruda Five Decades: Poems 1925-1970. Pretty much anything Neruda. 


Pablo Neruda

Pablo Neruda (July 12, 1904 – September 23, 1973) was the pen name and, later, legal name of the Chilean writer and politician NeftalĂ­ Ricardo Reyes Basoalto. He chose his pen name in honour of the famous Czech poet Jan Neruda.



One Hundred Love Sonnets: XVII
BY PABLO NERUDA


I don’t love you as if you were a rose of salt, topaz,
or arrow of carnations that propagate fire:
I love you as one loves certain obscure things,
secretly, between the shadow and the soul.

I love you as the plant that doesn’t bloom but carries
the light of those flowers, hidden, within itself,
and thanks to your love the tight aroma that arose
from the earth lives dimly in my body.

I love you without knowing how, or when, or from where,
I love you directly without problems or pride:
I love you like this because I don’t know any other way to love,
except in this form in which I am not nor are you,
so close that your hand upon my chest is mine,
so close that your eyes close with my dreams.


TRANSLATED BY MARK EISNER




Who is your favorite musician, musical group or style of music?

Keith Jarrett, jazz piano and guitar, Latin, and classical 




What do you most value in your friends?

Honesty, energy, candor, warmth 




Name three artists whose work has influenced your own or whose

work you most relate to.


I want to mention 4: Cynthia Carlson, Marcia Meyers, Ted Larsen, Emily Mason 





Cynthia Carlson, "Schwangunks" 1976, 11" x 23" x 2", acrylic paint








Marcia Myers, "Frammento del Muro MMVIII-XVII, fresco on linen, 46" x 46" x 2"








Ted Larsen, "Joist", 2006, found metal construction, 26"h x 23"w








Ted Larsen, "Air Time", 2009, plywood, salvaged steel, rubber, 18"h x 50"w x 7.5"D










Emily Mason, "Greening", 2008, oil on canvas, 22"h x 20"w







Name an artist whose work you admire but which may be unlike yours.

Jane Piper— a lovely woman who inspired me while in college; was generous enough to give me her studio for a summer in center city Philadelphia. (Oh I wish I knew then what I do now...) 





Jane Piper, "Red at the Center", acrylic on canvas, 48"h x 60"w




What is your idea of earthly happiness? 



Going for a walk with my husband and our dogs at the beach or trail, and sharing a meal with good friends. 





Works by  L y n e t t e  H a g g a r d








Reveal, 2009, encaustic on panel, 30"h x 20"w
















Blossom, 2010, encaustic and mixed media, 6"h x 14"w x 6"d
















Rhythmo No. 3, 2010, encaustic on 3 panels, 16"h x 52" w
















Rhythmo No. 1, 2010, encaustic on panel, 20" x 20"







See more of Lynette's work at lynettehaggard.com

and read her blog at lynettehaggard.blogspot.com (Lynette specializes in artist interviews)



2 comments:

Terry Jarrard-Dimond said...

I enjoyed the quietness of Lynette's responses and the poetry she shared.

Nancy Natale said...

Thanks for commenting, Terry.