Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Monday at the Conference




My orb panel - the final product in today's post-conference workshop, Off the Wall: Encaustic in Three Dimensions, with Miles Conrad.


Miles put on his usual wonderful workshop. I really loved playing in wax all day with different materials and seeing the unexpectedly beautiful products we made.



Our class orb installation

Each of us made about 10 orbs from various materials that Miles provided. After our first few experiments, we each chose one piece and then we hung them in a grid and arranged them into an installation. The point was to get us to see how well these pieces work as multiples and also to notice how color, shape and volume play off each other in these pieces.

I had a wonderful time in the class chatting with friends and experimenting. I could tell you lots more about it and show you pictures, but I've been burning the candle at both ends and I'm nearly extinguished, so I'm calling it a day. Tomorrow I'm taking my final workshop with Francisco Benitez, Homage to Fayum, in which he demonstrates the encaustic painting techniques used in the ancient Fayum portraits, and we learn how to make contemporary paintings using those techniques and paint colors. I know it will be fabulous. Tomorrow I will not have a chance to post because I am driving back home right after the workshop so you will have to wait until Wednesday to get the final report.

Meanwhile I am leaving you with a fabulous image of Miles Conrad and a friend of his.


5 comments:

Linda said...

Love the shirt!

Terry Jarrard-Dimond said...

These objects are exciting. Sounds like a great workshop.

Stephanie Clayton said...

how interesting. the grid is a powerful, effective way to show these 3D pieces.

Gwendolyn Plunkett said...

Great shot of Miles and Joanne. Love those little sculptures. Wish so much I could have taken that workshop. Another time. Good to see you again Nancy and your painting made it to Houston in great shape. I love it.

Nancy Natale said...

Isn't that the greatest shirt? Jeff Schaller is responsible for printing it. Of course the whole conference wanted it and Miles said he had to arm wrestle to get it.

This was a great workshop and the pieces are really lovely. I can see that I will be very busy orbing.

Gwen, I'm glad you made it back home safely and brought the painting to Houston. Yours made it safely to Easthampton and it's great that we were able to exchange them. I'll take a shot of it once I hang it. It's going on a turquoise wall.