Tuesday, October 26, 2010

The Questionnaire: A Recap

This Is a Test
For the past 14 weeks (beginning on July 18th with my own responses) I have posted answers to The Questionnaire from the first batch of artists that I asked to participate. Most people really became invested in their answers and spent time providing me with images and info to give a few broad strokes and a little depth to the kind of quirky profile that the questions provided. Adding The Questionnaire to my blog as a regular feature provided some publicity for the artists and also helped me increase my readership. This was definitely a good thing all around.


Blue skies and plenty of room at the Arcadia Wildlife Sanctuary in Easthampton, Mass.



Don't Fence Me In
However, I am feeling a little boxed in by the schedule. This is the part of me that refuses to have a job where I have to show up every day and that doesn't like to go to bed at a regular time. Although I enjoy organization and cultivate a certain amount of neatness and punctuality, the idea of a regular schedule goes against my grain. You can see this in my artwork - I like geometric abstraction but I also need organic expressionism.



Blue Skies, encaustic with mixed media, 12"x12", 2008


I Need Some Space, Man
So I'm taking a little break from the punishing once a week schedule (written with irony) while I recruit more artists who wish to participate.

A Scientific Report
But let's review those Questionnaire answers.

Most popular color:  GREEN edged out RED and was way ahead of BLUE

Most popular favorite word:  YES
No other word was even repeated by more than one person. Other favorite words were:

stupendous
imagine
actually
love
histrionic
pontificate
fabulous
Dad da
hoogie
wonderful
excellent
respect
porkchop
monkey
suppose

Qualities most valued in friends: honesty, loyalty, humor


Eva Hesse

Artistic influences: EVA HESSE was mentioned more than anyone.


Louise Bourgeois


LOUISE BOURGEOIS was second.




Cy Twombly


CY TWOMBLY and LEE BONTECOU were also mentioned a few times.


Lee Bontecou


Earthly happiness involved family, friends, good food and surprising amounts of sleep.


xxx

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh well I totally get it! Sometimes I feel the same way about the interviews on my blog. But then, I'm always interested in what comes in. My plan is to start incorporating more of my work soon... at the end of 2010 I'm going to reevaluate the interview series.
You rebel, you!

Leslie Avon Miller said...

Nice summary Nancy. Family, friends, good food and sleep. I'd add a nice studio to the mix and have heaven on earth.

lisa said...

great job in the blogging department
but even better in the art making department
love the new works

Joanne Mattera said...

Yeah, I get it about the regular schedule. (I'm heading into the home stretch of Marketing Mondays for year two.)

Your Questionnaire is a terrific feature, so I'm glad you're thinking about reprising it. In the meantime, keep making thoose great paintings.

Nancy Natale said...

Thanks for commenting, Lynette. I think it's good to change it up every now and then. I do enjoy reading your interviews but I would like to see your work. What are you doing?

Leslie, you're right about the studio. Some people did say that being in the studio was heaven for them.

Thank you, Lisa. I always enjoy your blog too but even better - your work!

Joanne, I am a weaker woman than you and I admit it. But I'll be back. I have another whole list of artists to ask, so it will happen soon. (As soon as I get bored with not posting it!)

Terry Jarrard-Dimond said...

Nancy, This was a wonderful series. I am touched by the similarity of some of the responses. We are so connected to other artists in ways we never imagine.

I continue to enjoy your blog and find it meaningful.