Thursday, February 7, 2013

Exponential: 4 Artists Explore Infinity

My work is very much concerned with materiality. I love the physical process of making art, working with encaustic paint, treating metal with chemicals, pounding all those tacks. The objectness of art is IT for me rather than the portrayal of something. My art is something rather than represents something.


"Material World," 2011, 36" x 36" x 1.75" - found and fabricated materials on panel with tacks and encaustic

(Note: My works in this post are included in "Exponential: 4 Artists Explore Infinity" and you can click on all the images  to make them enlarge.)


Postcard for the show at Mt. Ida College in Newton, Mass. featuring the work
of Sand T. Kalloch


When my Facebook friend, Catherine Carter, invited me to show my work in an exhibition she was curating, I was pleased to be invited and happy to say yes. She developed the theme for the show of exponential. I am still not quite sure what that means except that it has to do with math and expansion, but I do understand the concept of infinity. That concept, which I am thinking of as boundlessness, would not have occurred to me in relation to my work, but I've been giving it more thought.



"The Black One," 2011, 36" x 36" x 1.75". found and fabricated materials on panel with tacks and encaustic

My work does not involve figure and ground (the classical description of what painting is) so it could be considered either all ground or all figure. There are no outside boundaries to it and it could continue in any direction into infinity. That is one link to the theme.


"As Sweet As Honey," 2011, 36" x 36" x 1.75" found and fabricated materials with dominoes,
tacks and encaustic on panel

Another link is the infinity of ideas for paintings that artists have. One painting leads to another, leads to another, and so on into infinity. I can just imagine a whole spiraling line of paintings stretching off into the ether, each one related to the preceding or the following or maybe making a precipitous jump in a new direction.


"Red No. 2," 2010-2011, 10" x 8" x 1.5", found and fabricated materials with
tacks, encaustic and oilstick on panel. 


Tonight at the opening, I, and the other three artists in the show will each be giving a talk about our work. I have several ideas about infinity and how it relates to my work, so I hope you'll be there if you are nearby. Otherwise, you'll just have to visualize that line of paintings spiraling off into the ether.


"Red No. 3," 2010-2011, 10" x 8" x 1.5", found and fabricated materials with
tacks, encaustic and oilstick on panel.


Here's a video peak at the show made by Catherine Carter.




No comments: